10.26.2007

Pumpkin Pound Cake

Well, in my never-ending attempt to waste less food, of course I had to do a pumpkin recipe to use up my 1 cup of leftover pumpkin. I came across this recipe earlier in the year on Slashfood and just hadn't gotten around to make it.

Despite how it may seem, we are trying to lose weight. (More of my baked goods get eaten by other folks *waves to my beloved guinea pigs* than ourselves. Which is good.) I love pound cake, but it's not so loving the waistline in the long run. So when I spotted this recipe, I knew it'd be a winner.

Instead of plain yogurt, I use vanilla. In the end, you don't really taste it all, so I'd use vanilla again. It's more fun to eat the rest out of the container when you like the flavor. :)

I'm really pleased with this. It'd be good for breakfast, snack, or dessert. Or as a Christmas present... housewarming gift... teacher's gift... You get my point. :D



Ingredients:
1½ cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. allspice
¼ tsp. cloves
¼ tsp. nutmeg
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
1 cup sugar
½ cup brown sugar, packed
1 large egg
1 large egg white
½ cup vanilla nonfat yogurt
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8x4-inch loaf pan.

Whisk together the dry ingredients in a medium bowl; set aside.

In a large bowl, beat together sugar, brown sugar, egg and egg white until combined. Beat in the yogurt, pumpkin and vanilla extract. Slowly whisk in the flour mixture, stirring only until no streaks of flour remain. Do not overmix. Scrape batter into prepared pan.

Bake at 350F for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for about 30 minutes, then gently turn the cake out of the pan and let cool completely on the rack before slicing. Serves 10-12, depending on slice size.

No comments: