4.19.2007

Oatmeal Muffins

It's just another manic muffin...

Oops. So I'm probably not supposed to be baking. It's late (for me), I rarely ever bake at night, and, oh yeah, I'm recovering from the laparascopic surgery that I had last Friday (yes, the 13th). But after watching Grey's Anatomy, I was feeling restless, and all of a sudden I knew: muffins would make everything better. Don't know how, but I just knew, and I'm really hoping that the pain that's in my belly right now is worth it. :D

taken from The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook

Ingredients:
2 cups rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
1½ cups milk
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. cinnamon (I upped it to ½)
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 tsp. vanilla

(I also added in a handful of dried cranberries and maybe a quarter cup of raisins?)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400F. Line 12-16 muffin tins with paper liners.

In a medium sized bowl, mix the oats and the milk; set aside for 10 minutes.

In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients, making a well in the center. Stir in the liquid ingredients and the oatmeal mixture until just combined, being careful not to overmix. Batter may be lumpy. Fill muffin cups about three-quarters full.

Bake at 400F for 16-18 minutes, until lightly golden or a cake tester inserted near center comes out with moist crumbs attached. Do not overbake.

No comments: