9.28.2007

S'more Cookie Bars

I found this recipe over at Baking Bites, about a month ago, judging by the posting date, and quickly added it to my "maybe trying" folder. I'm trying to get better about actually working my way through that folder instead of just always adding to it. :)

I'm a firm believer that whoever first put chocolate and marshmallow together needs to be sainted. But at the same time, I've never had an-honest-to-goodness, straight-off-the-fire smore. Yeah, yeah, I know. One of the 'essentials' of childhood to many people, and here I am, getting closer and closer to 30 (which is whole 'nother post to begin with!), and I never have.

But I'd like to imagine that these, especially when eaten before being fully cooled, so they're still gooey and messy, are pretty close to the real thing.

By the way, I'm adding "eating a real s'more" to my newly-created list of "Things To Do Before I'm 30". Which already includes getting married and having a baby. And taking my parents to Disney World. :)

Anyways, I digress. I used two different chocolate bars, one 'Evening Dream' Ghirardelli (I already had it lol) and one milk chocolate bar. Unfortunately, I forget which side was which. :) Also used less marshmallow creme, which turned out for the best. Right now, they seem to dance on that border between 'sweet' and 'too sweet'. More marshmallow probably would've pushed it over. I used probably about 5 ounces? I didn't measure, just scooped from the jar, spreading until I was satisfied. :)

Really easy to make, though. Maybe next time I'll experiment with other kinds of chocolate.



Ingredients:
1-1/3 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
½ cup butter, softened to room temperature
¼ cup brown sugar
½ cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 king-sized milk chocolate bars
1½ cups marshmallow creme

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.

In a small bow, whisk together flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, and salt; set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture and mix at a low speed until combined.

Divide dough in half and press half of dough into an even layer on the bottom of the prepared pan. Place chocolate bars over dough. Spread chocolate with marshmallow creme or fluff.

Flatten remaining dough and carefully place on top of marshmallow layer. (I spread it on the counter, shaping it into a square, then cut into four pieces. Once on, I pinched the dough together to make it look like one solid piece.)

Bake at 350F for 30 to 35 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool completely before cutting into bars. Makes 16 cookie bars.

No comments: