2.15.2009

Blueberry Crumble Bars

Since I know I won't have a chance to post this tomorrow... Happy 2nd Blogiversary to me! LOL It's hard to believe it's been two years doing this and I haven't lost my love for it or anything. And yay for my photography skills improving a bit, too. ;)

I lucked out this week. The grocery store had blueberries, strawberries, and blackberries on sale for $2 each, with the blueberries being a whole pint worth. I'd be a fool not to take advantage of that. So come Saturday morning, I'm seeking out blueberry recipes.

Fate smiled upon me, when she led me to one of my favorite blogs, Smitten Kitchen. And let me tell you, she is not lying when she says how good these are. I opened the container today to find them half gone. (Hey, I won't argue with my dad actually eating fruit. Good, high-in-antioxidant fruit, at that) The only change I made to the recipe (other than halfing it) was to add cinnamon to the dough, and that won my heart for this one. :)



Ingredients:
½ cup sugar
½ tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1½ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup cold butter
1 egg
1/8 tsp. salt
Zest and juice of one lemon
2 cups fresh blueberries
¼ cup white sugar
2 tsp. cornstarch

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375F. Grease an 8-inch baking pan.


Mix together the sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and flour, then add butter and egg, using a pastry blender to combine. Dough will be crumbly. Spread half onto bottom of prepared pan.

Stir together sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice, then gently fold in berries. Sprinkle evenly over crust. Crumble remaining dough on top of the berries.

Bake at 375F for 45-50 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Let cool completely before cutting into bars.

4 comments:

Elyse said...

Um, these look amazing! Blueberry and crumble in a bar? Yes, please! I'd love one of these right now (I'd also love my berries to be on sale for $2)!

Elyse said...

Oh! And Happy 2-year blogiversary! Your blog is great!

Teena in Toronto said...

Wow! They look yummy!

Happy blogoversary!

Kasey said...

I too, love Smitten Kitchen, though her baked goods always make me think twice: I know if I make the huge batch, I'll eat the whole batch. This looks like a great addition to a brunch get together. Happy blogoversary, btw :)