1.05.2008

Gingerbread Cakelets

Alright, so I baked after all yesterday. By early afternoon, the lights had stopped flickering so often, so I figured it was safe. As for the dripping, well, maintenance STILL hasn't come by, but at least the rain has stopped. The bucket's still there, though, just in case. Really am not going to miss this apartment all that much when we move in June!

Onto the cakelets. I received a Macy's gift card for Christmas from Dave's parents, and naturally, I used it on kitchen stuff. (We won't go into my opinion on their clothing prices, because it will get rant-y) I haven't spent it all yet, but my major purchase so far was essentially a square-cupcake pan. Or cakelets, as I prefer to call them. It just sounds cute.

Thus began my search for "the perfect recipe" to try it out with. I went with a recipe that worked for a 9-inch pan, figuring if you added all 12 squares together, it'd add up to be about the same. (Oh, did I mention math was never my strong suit? I'm much more English and history-oriented LOL) I went with this one, cutting down the measurements by half.

As for the frosting, well, I wasn't in a frosting-friendly mood tonight (and I swear, it had nothing to do with the margarita I had at dinner), so it wound up with just plain ol' cream cheese. :)



Ingredients:
1¼ cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ginger
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. cinnamon
¼ cup butter, softened
¼ cup brown sugar
½ cup molasses
1 egg
½ cup boiling water

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 12 cup cakelet pan or muffin cups.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and spices; set aside.

Beat butter, brown sugar, and molasses until creamy. Add egg. Alternately add flour mixture and water into butter mixture. Fill cakelets about halfway.

Bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for about 10 minutes, before removing to wire rack. Frost once completely cooled.

Cream Cheese Frosting:
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbsp. milk
2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted

Beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add vanilla and milk. Gradually add sugar, beating until desired consistancy is reached.

No comments: