1.12.2008

Snickerdoodle Bars

I really enjoy snickerdoodles, but, particularly after Christmas, I'm not the biggest fan of making cookies. Mainly because I eat entirely too much dough. So it came to me the other night, why not try making them in bar form? I also entertained some other ideas, but those haven't panned out yet. But they aren't completely out of the running yet, though.

The dough comes together very easy. My only problem was that the pan I originally wanted to use (the jelly roll pan) was a bit too big. So I had to re-gather all the dough and the only other pan I had available was the 9x9-inch. The 'inside' part sunk a bit and my cinnamon-sugar sprinkling wasn't exactly even, so it's not going to win any beauty pageants.

But could it win Miss Congeniality? Oh, yes. It's a moist, soft, thicker version of the Snickerdoodle cookie and I am SO making these again.

(They're also a bit camera shy [read: rechargable batteries die, too], so no picture of this one. Next time, Gadget.) ;)

Ingredients:
1½ cups flour
1 tsp. cream of tartar
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
½ cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg

1 Tbsp. sugar
½ tsp. cinnamon

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease either a 9x9- or 13x9-inch pan. (Depending on how thick you want them to be)

Whisk together the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt; set aside.

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg. Gradually add flour mixture. Spread into pan.

Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl; sprinkle over dough.

Bake at 350F for 14-18 minutes, or until golden brown (or a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean). Let cool in pan. Cut into bars.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I liked these. I baked them in a 9 x 13 pan for 14 minutes and they came out good and chewy. Was looking for something easy and quick and I will definitely make these again.