2.08.2008

Blueberry Crumble Cake

I had a really hard time this week, figuring out what to make. By last night, I narrowed it down to two: this and a lemon pound cake. Obviously you can tell the winner. ;)

This is my first recipe that's by Ina Garten. I know some people swear by her brownies, and I've seen the lemon yogurt cake on many a blog. But the idea of blueberries and lemon sounded really good. A bit of history: for years and years, I said that I didn't like lemon-flavored foods. Probably for about twenty years I said this. Why? Because I hadn't ever tried any. There are still a long list of foods that I say that I don't like, even though I've never tried them. This is why I bake and not cook. Just kidding. But, really, there is a mental list. Don't judge me too harshly, okay? I was sheltered as a kid. (But that's a whole 'nother post!)

Onto the good stuff. This batter is so good. I could've easily just sat there with a spoon and ate it from the bowl. Post-baking, it didn't have the lemon flavor that I wanted, but is still yummy. Light, but moist. I'm a little sad my blueberries sank, despite the flour, but oh well. Doesn't affect the taste, obviously. I'm curious to try this with other berries as well. Perhaps when it's more of the berry-season. :)




Ingredients:
For the streusel:
¼ cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
½ cup unsalted butter, melted
1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour

For the cake:
1¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
½ tsp. lemon zest
2/3 cup sour cream
1 cup fresh blueberries

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350F. Butter and flour a 9-inch round baking pan.

For the streusel:
Combine the granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a bowl. Stir in the melted butter and then the flour. Mix well and set aside.

For the cake:
In a medium sized bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.

Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on high speed for 4 to 5 minutes, until light. Add the eggs 1 at a time, then add the vanilla, lemon zest, and sour cream. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture to the batter until just combined. Fold in the blueberries with a spatula. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and spread it out with a knife. With your fingers, crumble the topping evenly over the batter.

Bake at 350F for 40-50 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool completely.

No comments: