3.28.2008

Black-Bottom Coconut Bars

This past week, I forget which day, Johanna brought in some of the yummy fruit salad that she makes. I don't remember all the details, but it uses both shredded coconut and coconut jelly. It's great. So that put me in the mood for more coconut, despite Dave not liking it. Rarely ever do I do anything with coconut, so I actually had to ask someone where it was in Whole Foods. LOL

Two nights ago, while searching for ideas on what to make today, I wound up on Martha Stewart's website (as a sidenote, her name is the one that I can't say without slipping back into my Massachusetts accent: Mah-tha Stew-aht) and came across these. Of course, mine didn't come out so nice-looking, but it's okay.

I'm pleased enough with the taste. The brownie base is delicious, but I feel the coconut part could use some more... oomph to the flavor. I'm not sure what to add, but I feel like it's missing something. As for my GP's (Guinea Pigs; they deserve to be capitalized lol), I feel quite sure that Henelyne will dance a little when she tries one. Have yet to make something that hasn't elicited that reaction! :D



Ingredients:
Chocolate Base:
½ cup unsalted butter
½ cup sugar
¼ tsp. salt
1 large egg
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ cup all-purpose flour

Coconut Topping:
2 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
½ tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 package sweetened shredded coconut (7 ounces), 1/2 cup reserved for sprinkling

Directions:
For chocolate base:
Preheat oven to 375F. Line a 9-inch square baking pan with aluminum foil, leaving a slight overhang; butter bottom and sides of foil (not overhang).

Place butter in a large microwave-safe bowl; melt in microwave. Add sugar and salt; whisk to combine. Whisk in egg, then cocoa and flour until smooth. Spread batter in prepared pan.

Bake at 375F for about 10-15 minutes, or just until sides begin to pull away from edges of pan. Let cool slightly while preparing coconut topping. Keep oven on for topping.

For coconut topping:
In a medium bowl, whisk eggs with sugar and vanilla. Gently mix in flour and coconut (except 1/2 cup reserved for sprinkling).

Drop mounds of mixture over chocolate base; spread and pat in gently and evenly with moistened fingers. Sprinkle with reserved 1/2 cup coconut.

Bake at 375F for 25-30 minutes, or until golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs attached. Cool completely in pan. Lift cake from pan, peel off foil, and cut into bars.

No comments: