3.08.2008

Honey Blondies

If it weren't for the hideous-looking apple butterscotch bars, I wouldn't have made these. But for some reason, the butterscotch chips I sprinkled on top, as directed... they stayed put in the oven, but upon cooling, half of them sank. So I have bars with sinkholes. Not pretty.

So I started searching, knowing that I had a bear of honey in the cabinet that I hadn't used. Finally came across this on the National Honey Board website. The picture looked decent, the recipe easy enough, so why not, right?

Oh, have I mentioned that I'm not a big fan of honey, simply because I never really had it growing up? Or at least not that I can remember. So I don't know what I expected, but these are... different. They seem a bit bland, and almost have a cornbread-like texture. Dave agrees. Two of my guinea pigs get them tomorrow, so we'll see.

On a happy note! I found almond butter at a decent price AND I bought Girl Scout Cookies today. Oh, yes. Happy day, indeed. Add blue skies, sun, and 68 degree temperatures... does it get any better? :)



Ingredients:
1 cup honey
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp. baking powder
½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9-inch baking pan.

Cream butter and honey until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add flour and baking powder; mix until combined. Fold in chocolate chips. Spread into pan.

Bake at 350F for 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely. Cut into squares.

No comments: