4.29.2008

Hazelnut Cupcakes

(This is going to be a brief post, as Dave's waiting for the computer)

Oh, I had such high hopes for these. After what seemed like forever, I finally got my hands on some hazelnut extract, so of course, I had visions of these cupcakes ever since.

Finally was able to make them today. And despite adding more hazelnut extract, I still can't taste it! They just taste like chocolate cupcakes. Good cupcakes, sure, but not what I had hoped for. Hmph. Back to the drawing board.



Ingredients:
½ cup boiling water
6 Tbsp. cocoa
¼ cup milk
½ tsp. vanilla
2 Tbsp. hazelnut extract
1 cup flour
½ tsp. + 1/8 tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
½ cup butter, softened
10 Tbsp. brown sugar
6 Tbsp. sugar
2 eggs

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.

In a bowl, whisk water into cocoa until smooth. Whisk in milk and extract.

In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.

Beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time. Alternately add flour mix and cocoa mix, starting and ending with the flour. Fill liners halfway full.

Bake at 350F for 18 minutes. Let cool on wire rack.

Chocolate Hazelnut Ganache
½ cup heavy cream
8 oz. semisweet chocolate chips
2 Tbsp. light corn syrup
2 tsp. hazelnut extract

Heat cream until boiling, then pour over chocolate, stirring until melted. Add corn syrup and extract, until well mixed.

3 comments:

Cookie Madness said...

Hey, if you try the peanut butter & Nutella brownies, you might want to add a tiny, tiny, drop of that hazelnut extract to the chocolate swirl mixture. I've never tried hazelnut extract, but it sounds like a good ingredient! I'm always looking for ways to ramp up the hazelnut flavor.

Stef said...

I made the same recipe a while back, but gave it a chocolate hazelnut filling. That helped lots! I also was amazed at how mild hazelnut extract is. You never use 2 T of other extracts.

Stef said...

Oh - meant to leave you the link to where I made them.

http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2007/12/ferrero-rocher-cupcakes-23-karat.html