5.26.2008

Deep Dish Mint Brownies

Oddly enough, I do my best thinking while walking. Luckily, I enjoy walking. ;) I normally do about 15-20 miles per week and when I'm by myself, that's when I'm thinking of what to make.

I knew I wanted to do something for Amelia that was minty and chocolatey. Because she, too, feels that whoever put together chocolate and mint needs to be sainted. We had plans for dinner tonight, so my time was limited. I wound up going with a basic brownie recipe, adding peppermint extract and the Andes Creme de Menthe baking pieces. I love those little things.

When they first came out of the oven, they were nearly busting out over the top of the pan. Quite the brownie. The center does sink a bit as it cools, and when cut, they get that crumbly top along the edges. Yummy!



Ingredients:
3/4 cup flour
½ cup cocoa
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
3/4 cup butter, melted
1½ cups sugar
1 tsp. peppermint extract
3 eggs
1 cup peppermint chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8- or 9-inch square baking pan.

Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt; set aside.

Cream butter, sugar, and peppermint extract until smooth. Add eggs. Gradually add flour mixture, beating until combined. Spread into prepared pan.

Bake at 350F for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Let cool completely before cutting into bars. Makes about 16 brownies.

No comments: